WebProtectMe™ Safe Browser is the best way to protect your family from offensive, dangerous and self-harm content on the Internet.
This guide will help you get up and running on your Kindle Fire device. Since Amazon does not allow any browsers except theirs on the Amazon Appstore, this guide will help you download Safe Browser directly to your Kindle Fire.
Safe Browser Set Up
(If you already have Safe Browser installed, please skip ahead to Setting Up Device Restrictions.)
- Before downloading Safe Browser, we need to allow apps from third parties. Open the Kindle Settings app and tap Security & Privacy.
- Tap Apps from Unknown Sources to switch it on.
- Kindle will warn you about apps not downloaded from the Amazon Appstore. Tap OK to continue.
- Now you're ready to download Safe Browser. Opening the Silk browser on your Kindle and browse to webprotect.me/kindleapp
- The download will start in your Kindle's system tray:
- When the download has completed. Tap on it to begin installing Safe Browser.
- Tap Install. (On some devices you might need to tap Next and then Install).
- When installation has finished tap Open.
- Sign in with your WebProtectMe account (use the parent's administrative user if you have more than one user on your account). If you don't yet have a WebProtectMe account, sign up at webprotect.me/signup to create one.
- (optional) If you have different filtering settings for different people in your family, please choose the user that will primarily use this device.
- You're ready to go! Just type a search or the address of a website into the OneBox in the middle of the screen.
Setting Up Device Restrictions
- From Safe Browser, open the main menu by tapping the icon. Then tap Settings followed by Protection Settings.
- Tap the Restrict Device toggle to switch it on.
- Tap Activate. This will prevent WebProtectMe from being removed without your WebProtectMe password.
- WebProtectMe also needs to be enabled as an Accessibility provider. This allows us to require your password when blocked applications are launched. Tap Go to open Accessibility settings.
- Tap WebProtectMe Device Restrictions.
- Tap the toggle to enable WebProtectMe as an Accessibility provider.
- Tap OK to confirm.
- You can tell device restrictions are working, if the WebProtectMe lock screen pops up when you tap Back after the last step. Enter the password for the WebProtectMe admin account you used to sign into Safe Browser and tap Unlock.
- Return to Safe Browser and open Protection Settings again. Tap Blocked Applications to select the apps you'd like to block. When an app is "blocked", your WebProtectMe admin password will be required to access it.
- You'll see a list of all the apps installed on this device. Block individual apps by switching on the toggles next to those apps.
The apps are grouped by type. We recommend restricting all of the apps in the Browsers and Social Media groups, as well as, the Appstore app under the Settings group. This'll help ensure Safe Browser isn't bypassed.
Please review all of the applications listed to make sure you're aware of all the applications on the device.
You're all done! Safe Browser is installed and you've restricted the apps that could bypass Safe Browser's protection.
You can now customize WebProtectMe's filtering and protection settings to fit your family by tapping Customize Protection inside Protection Settings in Safe Browser, or by opening webprotectme.com/admin/protection from any browser.
If you have any questions, please let us know! You can reach us either through the in-app chat, or by emailing us: email@example.com